Great travel destinations and attraction tips to help you maximize your visit to MD.
Back to Articles
Go on a horse-drawn ride, golfing, hit a scenic hiking trail, and exploring an old country club - these are the wonderful activities you can do in Maryland's Deep Creek Lake
The Deep Creek Lake of Maryland
Feb 20, 2014
Beautiful surroundings of forests and mountains around a large man-made lake, what more is there to ask for when it comes to enjoying a relaxing holiday. All this is found at the Deep Creek Lake, located in Western Maryland where there is much to do for outdoor buffs of any age.
Deep Creek Lake can only be accessed with a private vehicle, so this would be the best time to rent a bus to bring your entire entourage there. Just head to its main road at Route 219 that connects the town of Oakland and small town of Accident.
Outdoor Fun on a Horseback
When going on a horseback ride, nothing is as wonderful as sitting atop a horse, surrounded by picturesque scenery. Should you be too afraid to mount a horse, no worries! You can opt for even a horse drawn carriage.
- Pleasant Valley Dreamrides - Horse and Carriage Rides & Services: This area in Deep Creek Lake known as Pleasant Valley is one place you can have your horse drawn tour of the Miller Family Farm. This is where you can enjoy the serenity of the Amish community, and learn about the agricultural and daily life of an Amish household on an
- Amish dairy farm. Mini bus rental visitors can also opt for an educational hands-on experience of memories to bring back home after a holiday.
- Western Trail: Should you prefer an actual horseback ride through some beautiful trails, then this would be perfect for you. There are many different horses to choose from at this stables such as Appaloosas, paints, quarter horses, Belgium's, pintos and even draft horses. A one hour trail ride is approximately 4 hours long and coach bus visitors who take this trail ride can enjoy the open fields, undeveloped mountainside, and even go pass an apple orchards amongst whitetail deer and wild turkey.
Something for Grown Ups
When it comes to something a little more mature, how about some golf? There are two major golf clubs and courses in Deep Creek Lake that both amateurs and professionals can enjoy.
- Wisp Golf: Known as one of the must-play golf courses in the mid-Atlantic, Wisp Resort Golf Course was designed around the natural contours of the Wisp ski slopes. As golfers navigate this 6,700 yard, par 17 championship course, they can also take in the breathtaking views of the Wisp Mountains.
- Oakland Country Club: Just minutes away from Deep Creek Lake, this course features 18 holes of championship golf of 6,417 yards. The scenery here while golfing is beautiful and serene with rolling terrain and lush surroundings.
Don’t forget to get to Deep Creek Lake, you will need to drive there. Instead of the hassle of driving, how about renting a charter bus instead? Just call 1-888-488-6417 or 443-406-6972 for a quote or to book your bus today!